Thursday, April 14, 2011

Diaper Cake

This took about 4 hours to make today....I covered 3 different sizes of cardboard cake plates....with some Martha Stewart paper in green.  Then I assembled the base with a plastic tube through a hole I cut in the middle of the base.  I pushed the plastic hollow tube through the bottom of the base about 1 inch and made about  8 or 9 cuts around the end of the tube so that I could bend those in a 90 degree angle and tape them to the bottom of the base to really secure the plastic tube to the base.  Then I rolled and taped 1 1/2 inch strips of white paper to 101 diapers in newborn size.  These get placed around the tube and taped....row by row for better sturdiness.  The bottom row starts with about 5 diapers taped to the tube in a circle.  Then the next row probably has about 9 or 10 diapers again taped once they are placed all the way around the original 5.  Then the next row get the same treatment.  I think the base probably has about 5 or 6 individual rows....sorry I didn't count them.  Once the base is full I placed the next smaller cardboard base(which was also covered in Martha Stewart paper).  Place more diapers, row by row.  Hint....I find it easier to place these rows if you are by yourself....if you use a ribbon or something ran around the edge and stuff the diapers behind the ribbon...loosen as needed as you go around the cake.  I actually have a roll of twist tie in red...that is yards long.  I just cut a piece long enough to go around the outside edge....twisting the twist tie or loosing as needed.....to hold the diapers in place. Once I have the row filled in....I run a piece or two of clear tape all the way around the diapers making sure my tape stays on the 1 1/2 inch strip of white paper on each diaper and not taping to the diapers themselves.  This way the tape and 1 1/2 inch strips of paper can be removed after the party and the diapers are still useable.  After you get all your layers on....decorate with baby items.  I used the hole in the base to run a long piece of twist tie folded in half through the center plastic tube to secure the top stuffed animal.  Place the two cut ends of the twist tie through the tube under the base first....I used a large popsicle stick placed flat on the bottom of the base to put through the loop so it wouldn't pull all the way through the tube.  Then tie your stuffed animal real good with the two cuts ends of your ribbon or whatever you use...in my case it was the twist tie.  Then I covered the twist tie with a ribbon once I cut the twist tie short. 

3 comments:

SusanE said...

Kathy, I luv all the little trinkets attached to the cake. I used a tall and taller bottle, preferably round, to use up the center. Baby lotion, oil or bath stuff for mom works great.

Anonymous said...

Those are great ideas! I'll have to remember that! -Kathy

Betty said...

Kathy your Diaper Cake is just awesome...I love all the little boy things you added to it also...mom will be so happy and it will be a beautiful center piece!

Post a Comment